Ask a Question

Top Rated Houston Criminal Lawyer – 30 Years Experience

Call or Text for a free Case Review

Frequently Asked Questions

Criminal Law in Houston

Here at Chernoff Law, we have provided the answers to common questions that relate to criminal law and charges in Texas. The answers are for general information and are not legal advice. If you have an unanswered question or need additional clarification or help, don’t hesitate to contact a Houston criminal defense lawyer at our firm.

How do I get someone out of jail?

If your loved one has been placed in jail, you may be able to get them out on bail so that they do not remain in jail in the time before their trial.

How do I find out if there is a warrant for my arrest?

Calling a professional bondsman is a good way to find out if there is a warrant for your arrest. Warrants are serious matters that should not be taken lightly.

What do I do if there is a warrant out for my arrest?

You may post a cash bond so that you do not get placed under arrest.

Why do I have a “no bond” in my case?

No bond means that you cannot be taken out of jail until a judge assigns bail.

How long does it take to get someone out of jail?

You can expect to wait from 4 to 8 hours after a person has been arrested.

When do I have the right to an attorney?

United States law guarantees that an individual has the right to legal counsel.

The police want me to talk about a crime they think I committed. Should I comply?

You have the right to remain silent after you have been charged with a crime, because anything that you say can be used against you in court.

If the police forget to read my rights when I am arrested, will the case be thrown out?

Police are required by law to read your rights but if they do not, it doesn’t necessarily mean that your case is not valid. For an accurate assessment, consult an attorney.

What should I do if I can’t afford to make the bail set in my case?

Bail is set so that a person accused of a crime has incentive to show up to the court proceedings. You may seek help from a judge if you cannot afford bail.

Do I need a lawyer for my criminal case?

You have the best chance of getting your charges lessened or dropped completely when you secure the help of a good criminal lawyer.

How much does it cost to hire a lawyer in a criminal case?

Every lawyer will charge you something different for your case. To find out about the rates that our firm will charge, follow the above link.

Where is my court located?

State and federal courtrooms are at different locations. Follow the above link to find out the exact address for each.

How can I clear my record?

The only way to have your criminal record cleared, whether you were only arrested or you were convicted, will be to seek an expunction or non-disclosure.

What is the difference between deferred adjudication and probation?

Probation means that you have been found guilty of the crime, while deferred adjudication means that you have not yet been declared guilty.

What is a Petition for Nondisclosure?

In some instances, you can petition to have your criminal record hidden from the public.

What is the purpose of a Grand Jury?

The role of the grand jury has changed in recent years, and every felony case must now be indicted by this group of individuals.

What happens in a federal detention hearing?

This is a bail hearing and happens when a US Attorney has moved for detention.

Can shoplifting charges be sealed?

A conviction will not automatically be sealed at age 18, and additional steps must be taken to keep this charge from appearing on background checks.

If you have further questions, please do not hesitate to contact Chernoff Law. We are a criminal law firm serving the Houston area.