Houston Federal Weapons Crime Defense Attorney
Federal Weapons Offense Lawyer in the City of Houston, TX, Defends the Rights and Freedom of People Charged with Federal Weapons Crimes in Harris County, Fort Bend County, Montgomery County, and Throughout Texas
Were you arrested and charged with a federal weapons offense in Houston? If so, you need experienced legal counsel to help level the playing field for you as you face the federal criminal justice system. Turn to a Houston federal weapons crime defense attorney from Chernoff Law for help.
I am attorney Ed Chernoff. I’ve been practicing criminal law for over three decades. In that time, I’ve seen cases from both sides of the courtroom. For five years I served as a top prosecution in the Harris County DA’s office. But in 1991 I decided to use the knowledge and experience I gained there to help people who have been charged with crimes. Over the years, I’ve represented thousands of clients, litigated over 150 trials, and developed a national reputation as a smart, tough advocate for the rights and interests of my clients.
Reach out for a free initial case evaluation with a Houston federal weapons crime defense attorney to learn more about your legal options for pursuing a favorable resolution to your charges. My firm will aggressively advocate for your freedom and future.
Types of Federal Weapons Offenses Chernoff Law Can Help You With
I can assist you with facing prosecution for federal weapons charges under 18 U.S.C. s. 922 such as:
- Unlicensed transporting of firearms in interstate or foreign commerce
- Unlawful possession of a firearm by a prohibited person, such as a convicted felon, a criminal defendant awaiting trial on felony charges, a drug user, an undocumented immigrant or an alien admitted under a non-immigrant visa, a person subject to a domestic violence order, or a person convicted of any domestic violence crime
- Possession of prohibited weapons, including machine guns, fully automatic firearms, silenced firearms, or short-barrel rifles or shotguns
- Possession of a firearm with a defaced, destroyed, altered, or illegible serial number
Other federal weapons offenses I can help with include:
- Possession or use of a firearm during a drug crime
- Theft of a firearm from the person or premises of a firearms licensee
- Acquiring firearms through use of false written or oral representations or false identification with the intent to deceive a dealer as to the legality of the action or the identity of the intended owner of the firearm
- Possession or discharge of firearms in a federal facility or school zone, except as authorized by law
- Sale of a firearm to a minor, or sale of a handgun to a person under the age of 21
Facing Criminal Charges in Texas and Have Questions? I’m Houston Criminal Defense Attorney Ed Chernoff, And I Can Protect You. Call My Office Today at 713-222-9141 or Fill Out My Online Contact Form For a Free Consultation About Your Case.
Penalties for a Conviction for Federal Weapons Crimes
Penalties for conviction for federal firearms offenses include:
- Possession of a prohibited firearm: Up to 10 years and/or a fine of up to $10,000 or $250,000 for a prohibited machine gun
- Possession of a firearm with an altered or obliterated serial number: Up to five years and/or a fine of up to $250,000
- Possession of a firearm by a prohibited person: Up to 10 years and/or a fine of up to $250,000
- Use or possession of a firearm in a drug crime or crime of violence: Maximum sentencing ranging from five years to life depending on the underlying conduct and prior criminal history
In addition, the Armed Career Criminal Act also imposes mandatory minimum sentences as high as 15 years for defendants convicted of firearms offenses who are designated as “career offenders.”
Chernoff Law is Committed to Answering Your Questions. I Offer a Free Consultation and I’ll Gladly Discuss Your Case With You at Your Convenience. Contact Me Today to Schedule an Appointment.
Defenses to Federal Weapons Charges
Common defenses to federal firearms charges include:
- You are not a person prohibited from possessing a firearm
- You have a license to import, manufacture, collect, or sell a firearm or to carry a concealed weapon
- The firearm(s) did not travel across state lines
- You did not have actual or constructive possession of the firearm
- The firearm(s) was found by law enforcement in an unlawful search that was conducted without probable cause or a valid search warrant
How Will a Houston Federal Weapons Crime Defense Attorney from Chernoff Law Help You Resolve Your Charges?
Federal firearms offenses can have serious consequences in the event of a conviction. Turn to a federal weapons offense lawyer in the City of Houston, TX, for help with protecting your freedom and reputation. When you turn to me for help in resolving your weapons charges, you can expect that I will:
- Offer a compassionate, dedicated approach to legal representation, taking the time to understand your goals and concerns so that I pursue a case strategy aimed at achieving the results you want
- Thoroughly investigate the underlying facts and circumstances of your case
- Stand up for your rights by filing motions to exclude any evidence that may have been unlawfully obtained from you
- Discuss your legal options with you so that you are informed to make the best decisions for your interests
- Pursue the best possible resolution in your case, whether through negotiating a favorable plea agreement with prosecutors to minimize your sentencing exposure, or advocating your defense if you choose to go to trial on your charges
I don’t have the words to express how grateful we are for Mr. Chernoff and his team. They always kept us updated and were available for any questions we had. They were able to obtain the best possible outcome. I would definitely use him again and highly recommend him.
Ed saved my life and career. Incredible lawyer if you’re in trouble.
He put my fears at ease and helped me get my case dismissed and my life back on track. I would highly recommend hiring Ed and letting him do the same for you.
Contact a Federal Weapons Offense Lawyer in the City of Houston, TX, to Learn More About Your Legal Options for Defending Yourself Against Your Charges
Contact me today for a confidential consultation to learn more about the difference that an experienced Houston federal weapons crime defense attorney can make in your case. You can trust me to fight as hard as necessary to stand up for your rights and future.
Houston Federal Weapons Crime Defense Attorney Answers Frequently Asked Questions About Federal Weapons Offenses in Houston, TX
If you are arrested on federal weapons charges, you need to immediately invoke your right to remain silent. Tell the law enforcement officers or prosecutors that you wish to remain silent, and do not answer any questions or make any statements regarding your charges. You should also invoke your right to legal counsel. Tell the officers or prosecutors that you want to speak with a Houston federal weapons crime defense attorney, and contact me for help with securing your release and preparing an effective defense strategy for your charges.
Potentially yes. Although people normally have a constitutional right to bear arms for self-defense, a person may have these rights restricted under certain circumstances. For example, felons are typically prohibited from possessing firearms. If you are a prohibited person, you may still be charged with federal weapons crimes even if you only have firearms for self-defense.