Houston Violent Crime Defense Attorney
Violent Crime Lawyer in the City of Houston Defends Clients’ Freedom and Future from Serious Criminal Charges in Harris County, Fort Bend County, Montgomery County, and Throughout Texas
Have you been arrested and charged with committing a violent crime? These offenses typically carry the harshest punishments under the law, threatening your freedom and future. You need a Houston violent crime defense attorney to help you protect your interests as you face the criminal justice system. Turn to Chernoff Law for help.
I am criminal defense lawyer Ed Chernoff. I’ve been a lawyer in the field of criminal law for over 35 years. In that time, I’ve developed a reputation as a smart, tough attorney. I’ve seen criminal cases from both the defense and prosecution side, having spent five years as one of the top prosecutors with the Harris County DA’s office. When I left the DA’s office, I decided to use the insights I gained to provide effective, persuasive legal defense for people accused of breaking the law. In my private practice as a criminal defense attorney, I’ve represented thousands of clients in Texas and nationwide, including in some of the most complex and high-profile criminal cases.
Reach out to me for a free initial case evaluation to learn more about your legal options and what a violent crime lawyer in the City of Houston, TX, can do to help you pursue a favorable resolution to your charges. You can trust me to aggressively advocate for your rights and interests in your criminal case.
Facing Criminal Charges in Texas and Have Questions? I’m Houston Criminal Defense Attorney Ed Chernoff, And I Can Protect You. Call My Office Today at 713-222-9141 or Fill Out My Online Contact Form For a Free Consultation About Your Case.
Chernoff Law Represents Clients Facing All Kinds of Violent Crime Charges in Houston
Let our Houston violent crime defense attorney help you defend your reputation and freedom if you have been charged with violent crimes under state or federal law such as:
- Murder – Texas Penal Code Title 5, Sec. 19.02
- Manslaughter – Texas Penal Code Title 5, Sec. 19.04
- Criminal homicide – Texas Penal Code Title 5, Sec. 19.05
- Attempted murder
- Armed robbery – Texas Penal Code Title 7, Sec. 29.02 and 29.03
- Carjacking –
- Aggravated kidnapping – Texas Penal Code Title 5, Sec. 20.04
- Arson – Texas Penal Code Title 7, Sec. 28.02
- Assault and aggravated assault – Texas Penal Code Title 5, Sec. 22.01 and 22.02
- Sexual assault – Texas Penal Code Title 5, Sec. 22.011
- Terrorism – 18 U.S.C. Ch. 113B
Penalties for a Conviction for a Violent Crime in Texas
Most violent crimes in Texas are charged as felony offenses. Grading of felony offenses ranges from state jail felonies for the least-serious offenses to capital felonies for the most serious violent crimes. Penalties for a conviction for a violent crime under Texas criminal law include:
- State jail felony: State jail term of 180 days to two years, and a potential fine of up to $10,000
- Third-degree felony: Imprisonment for two to 10 years, and a potential fine of up to $10,000
- Second-degree felony: Imprisonment for two to 20 years, and a potential fine of up to $10,000
- First-degree felony: Imprisonment for life, or a term of 5 to 99 years, and a potential fine of up to $10,000
- Capital felony: Imprisonment for life without parole, or the death penalty
Common Defenses to Violent Crime Charges
Common defenses to violent crime charges include:
- Identity – You were not the perpetrator of the offense
- Alibi – You were somewhere else when the crime occurred
- Self-defense or defense of others – You used force against the purported victim to protect yourself or others from imminent bodily injury inflicted by the purported victim
- Lack of intent – A violent crime charge can be downgraded or dismissed if you lacked the required criminal intent under the statute, such as if you were only acting negligently or recklessly
Let a Houston Violent Crime Defense Attorney from Chernoff Law Advocate for Your Rights
If you are facing charges for a violent crime, your freedom and future are at stake. A conviction will likely have serious consequences, including significant prison time and fines. Get help from a violent crime lawyer in the City of Houston, TX, to defend your rights and interests. When you hire me to represent you in your criminal matter, you can expect that I will:
- Sit down with you to help you understand the nature of your charges and provide you with honest advice to help inform you as you make the best decisions for your interests
- Thoroughly investigate the facts and circumstances underlying your charges to recover all available evidence, including evidence that the prosecution failed or didn’t bother to find
- Protect your rights throughout the criminal investigation, including filing motions to exclude the government’s evidence that was obtained in an unlawful search or interrogation
- Move to dismiss or reduce your charges where the government doesn’t have sufficient evidence to take you to trial
- Pursue the best possible resolution to your criminal matter, whether negotiating a plea agreement that allows you to avoid the most serious consequences of a conviction, or using my decades of courtroom experience to persuasively argue for your acquittal
I don’t have the words to express how grateful we are for Mr. Chernoff and his team. They always kept us updated and were available for any questions we had. They were able to obtain the best possible outcome. I would definitely use him again and highly recommend him.
Ed saved my life and career. Incredible lawyer if you’re in trouble.
He put my fears at ease and helped me get my case dismissed and my life back on track. I would highly recommend hiring Ed and letting him do the same for you.
Contact a Violent Crime Lawyer in the City of Houston, TX, to Discuss Your Legal Options and Learn More About the Criminal Process
Contact me today for a confidential consultation after you have been arrested and charged with violent crimes. I can prepare you for what to expect in your case and discuss how a Houston violent crime defense attorney can make a difference in your pursuit of a favorable resolution to your charges.
Chernoff Law is Committed to Answering Your Questions. I Offer a Free Consultation and I’ll Gladly Discuss Your Case With You at Your Convenience. Contact Me Today to Schedule an Appointment.
Frequently Asked Questions About Violent Crimes in Houston, TX
Self-defense is a defense that you can assert if you are charged with a violent crime. However, even if you claim self-defense against the officers, the police may still arrest you and charge you with a crime if they have probable cause to believe that you were the aggressor in the violent altercation or that you used unreasonable force in defending yourself.
Violent crimes are treated especially seriously by law enforcement and prosecutors. You need to promptly invoke your rights if you are arrested for a violent crime. This includes invoking your right to remain silent and not answer any questions from the police, as well as the right to legal counsel and to consult with an attorney prior to any questioning. Reach out to a violent crime lawyer in the City of Houston, TX, as soon as possible to get advice and advocacy that can help you make the best decisions for your interests.